Tuesday, May 26, 2009

10 Things I'm Grateful For

I have decided that I like lists. I like writing them, reading them, and trying to make sense of them. I'm going to try to mkae my blogs in this new format: lists. So, here's another one.

A friend of mine recently found out her father has cancer. As I watched an update video from her on youtube, I realized how grateful I am that my own father is well. There are quite a few things that we don't even think about that we should be grateful for. Here's my list in no particular order:

- I'm grateful that my family is all healthy. Sure, my father is a diabetic and my mom has terrible hip problems, but none of that is immediately life threatening, thank God. I don't know how some kids do it when a parent has cancer. Hopefully, I'll never have to know.

- I'm grateful that I have a place to call home. And a nice one, too. Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live where I do and in the house I do, because this is the only house I have ever known. There are many people that don't know where they'll sleep that night, and I'm grateful I've never had to think about that.

- I'm grateful for the opportunites I've had. Not everyone gets to do everything in high school like I did, or go on every summer band trip that cost almost $1,000. I'm grateful my band director had faith in me and gave me the chance to audition for everything she could get me into.

- I'm grateful that I don't have to worry too much about money. I mean, yes, I do have to have a job, and I do have to pay my bills, but if I really need it, I know my parents would help me.

-I'm grateful that if I quit my job and moved to pursue some dream of mine (trust me, I have many dreams!) my parents would back me up, no matter how far it took me, or how stupid the dream is. My parents have always been very supportive of me, no matter what I did.

- I'm grateful I have the best friends in the world. If I need them, they're there for me 24/7. I love them to death!

- I'm eternally grateful for music. Whoever invented or discovered music has my eternal love. I love that music can explain myself better than I can. I love that you can take one single thought and write an entire song about it. I love that music really does bring people together, because music is a universal language.

- I'm also very grateful for books. They transport us to different places, times, even dimensions and let us forget whats stressing us at that moment. How authors can do that, I will never know!

- I'm grateful for all the materialistic things I have, like my clothes, car, the laptop I'm typing on at the moment. I know it sounds shallow, but I love my things.

-Finally, I'm extremely grateful for my family. They're my backbone. My mom and dad are the best parents anyone could ask for. They love me no matter how much I screw up. My sisters and brother are my best friends, and I couldn't picture my life without them.

I know I'm no saint, and I'm not trying to preach or anything, but a lot of us, myself included, forget the small things we need to be thankful for. So, write your own list of things to be thankful for! I like reading others lists and seeing what they are thankful for!

No comments: